A key element of Piedmont’s Seismic Safety Program was the centrally located Student Center of the High School. This mission revival building was originally built in the 1930’s as a WPA library. murakami/Nelson was able to preserve the character of the building while introducing a commercial kitchen capable of serving the students as well as hosting after school events with the adjacent theater. The dining room was designed to function as a large group classroom facility with supporting AV systems. The facility was seismically strengthened, and accessibility and fire/life safety systems were upgraded. The project was designed to meet the District’s sustainibility standards.